Thursday 14 May 2015

The Modellers Nook aka The Dungeon

My first introduction to RPGS and Wargaming was through two places Toy Land in Belfast which had some amazing GW kits some of which I got and also The Modellers Nook in Gresham Street behind Castlecourt. The store was primarily about selling model kits planes, tanks etc but Joe the store owner also got in minis and rulebooks from various companies. Most of the minis I bought are from the shop. My first foray into his store was in 1986 and it was an amazing experience Joe's attitude was laid back easy to chat with and he would order stuff in or hold stuff over for you. Joe had a really bad heart attack two years ago and sold the business which was a horrible thing to happen. In the last few years he organized a twice yearly event called model fest I'll pop up some pictures from it. This was an opportunity for fellow gamers and modellers to show of their collections, throw participation games, eat food and chat. My wife and I who met through an advert in the store where the fantasy wargaming couple so we would run small scale scenarios and skirmishes in all a really great day out. Back to the 80's Joe decided to hire a sculptor to try and make a few inhouse minis which could be used with Rogue Trader or other generic settings. These minis also included a small tribe of furries and several large scale aliens including a couple which were inspired by Geiger's artwork. Sadly nothing came of these except for a few production casts to try out the moulds I think the moulds are in England somewhere any way here's the minis.

3 comments:

  1. Joe was a always a great guy, used to give me and my brother great advice on all of our WW2 models and sometime throw in freebies. Sad he had to sell up was a great shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe was great that way. Sometimes he'd sk us to review products for him or offer us first dibs on any old minis found in the stockroom. The shops still going strong from what I can tell but it isn't the same.

      Delete
  2. Miss this shop badly. I'd visit home and he'd always be there to chat away. Is he on social media at all? love to say hi

    ReplyDelete